Monday, January 4, 2016

Ready, set, (wait for it...) Fabric & paints for the 30Day challenge

Progress not perfection is becoming my motto as I make leisurely progress in my 30 days of Art Experiments.  The decluttering of the studio is taking much more time/effort than I expected but today I did get fabric selected, cut to size, ironed, and paints picked out.  See the inspiration producing layout below.   I did find a few surprises lurking in the previous clutter.  Namely, some leather wristbands and acrylic finish for leather.  So added to my experimenting list is silkscreening on leather.
fabric and paints ready to go

Left to right, I have fabrics in front: t-shirt, 5 longer lengths of muslin, 3 white cotton 12" squares, a stack of about 9 smaller muslin squares, 3 9x14 dark green cotton pieces, and 2 hand dyed silk pieces in medium pink & purple.  Karen visited on Saturday and admired the t-shirt, asking for one on a dark green similar to the dark green fabric so I added that fabric to the experiment list to see if the paints will work on a dark background.  And she also suggested doing some scarves for Columbia City Gallery where we both have work on sale.  That suggestion moved the silk fabric up the list. In the background I have (again left to right) lumiere metallic fabric paint, setacolor shimmer, some tube acrylics, interference acrylics which will get some fabric medium added to them, and the versatex silkscreen paints in the big jars.   I had hoped to get the dragonflies screened onto the fabric today but after 3.5 hours of work today, this is as far as I got.

This seemed like a good stopping point as the next thing is to clear a path to the sink.  My thermofax screens need to be cleaned very quickly after I use them so having the sink just a few steps away is a big plus.  Unfortunately, since I reorganized the studio, the corner in front of the sink has become a clutter zone.
Clutter R Us
Fortunately, it won't take as much work as it seems to clear this up.  The elfa cart in the foreground is on wheels and will move to the dry studio on the other side of the back wall very quickly.

Tomorrow, I paint!  If I get all the fabric that I've prepped used, I will feel extremely productive.  And I'm going to take copious notes in my studio notebook as I failed to do with my sample chicken (more about that later).

No comments: