Thursday, January 21, 2016

Baby step progress on dragon pillow

My progress on my studio goals for the week was very slow this last couple of days.  Wednesday was a sick day and today was cleaning lady day so I had to do the "shift to the part of the house she's not working in" dance.  I did get the dragon sketch inked and got separation drawings for making silk screens done.

thermofax and dragon pieces

I use a thermofax machine to make my silkscreens and it has a limit of 8.5 inches wide so I have to separate the image into pieces to make 2 different screens to make one large dragon.  I should get the screens made and samples done tomorrow.  I had hoped to get them done today but life, what can you do?

The other big accomplishment was to gather together all the household, financial and personal files that need to be moved into the new file boxes I got.  The old arrangement was a lovely piece of furniture that I have to bend at the waist to read the file labels.  Since that particular bend is no longer easy to do, I got new boxes that can be put on a higher shelf in my computer work area.

non-urgent papers accumulated since first back surgery in 2013

And the current winner in the "never say never" category is today's dragonfly paint samples.  In looking at what I had done earlier, I realized that the watercolor dragonfly on watercolor paper was screened with black ink and the cotton ones were not.  So, not really a good comparison.  And I realized I hadn't done any on silk which is my preferred fabric.  So, two dragonflies on silk with black for the screen.  I used the same colors I had used before, the rightmost dragonfly on each fabric was done with watercolor alone first then with a topcoat of thinned medium.  The left one on each fabric was done with watercolor paint mixed with the medium.  It made a big difference on the cotton, less of a difference on the silk.  The silk ones are also almost as bright on the back as the front whereas the cotton ones are faint ghost images on the back.  I'm really liking the watercolor on the silk and will be doing more with it in the future.


cotton on left, silk on the right


No comments: