Monday, January 11, 2016

Long desired Marbling book arrives: Shiny squared!

Today was not a studio day.  First, I woke with an awful headache which has spent all day hovering on the brink of migraine despite every medical bullet in my inventory.  But... a really great thing happened.  A wonderful art book about Turkish marbling written by Hikmet Barutcugil arrived.  I got an empty box with a note for Xmas saying it was on it's way from Turkey.  And it came today.  Just when I really, really needed to just sit and read.  How nice!

Front cover
inside cover & dj flap















I particularly like that he has experimented with pushing the bounds of traditional marbling going well past the traditional techniques.  This book covers those traditional techniques and some of the blendings.   What is great about it is the information covering the why of the techniques which is what I need to do my own experimenting.




 While I like the non-geometric traditional work, like the blue sample above, I really love the pieces where he combines wavy marbling with traditional art elements.  




The other wonderful thing about the book is his philosophy on the spiritual side of marbling.  I had no idea he thought that way.  Which is interesting, considering I've decided to use marbled fabric to represent the flow of the universe/spirit in my work.  Synchronicity rules!

No comments: