Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Watercolor dragonflies - really, truly, the last of the paint experiments

The last two days have been spent making progress on decluttering and setting up, then doing,  some watercolor experiments.  I had bought these granular watercolor paints because the samples at the local art store were very different from anything I can do on fabric with dye or fabric paints.  I wanted to see if I could get the same effect on fabric.  Unfortunately, today has been a bad allergy day despite all the usual things that help somewhat.  This meant only one set of comparisons.

The colors are so pretty in the white dishes but not so great on the watercolor paper on the left or the cotton fabric on the right.  Up close, there is some of the mottling and visual texture I was hoping for but not a lot.  On the fabric, the rightmost dragonfly was painted with just watercolor and the leftmost one had fabric paint extender added to it.

140 lb cold press paper on left

Here's some closeups of the dragonflies so you can see the color differences better.

watercolor paint on watercolor paper

And the 2 on fabric:

left one is with extender added

Here's the paints I was using today.  I used 6 drops of water and a lentil size blob of the paint.


Daniel Smith watercolors
My brain fog is bad enough that I am going to wait until tomorrow to draw my final conclusions but I think all the watercolor paints are going to leave my studio.  I'll keep the pencils and bars, but right now I'm thinking the tube paints are not worth the space & effort.

No comments: