Friday, October 16, 2020

Annual prepping for power outages

 Our first windy storm that causes power outages has hit so fall/winter is officially here.  And while it's easy to find a list of things to do to prep (heat, light, amusements), my 2 most important things aren't usually on those lists.

First up, making a latte without my electric espresso machine.  Because if I don't have my morning latte, well, the whole day is not going to be pretty.  Thus my excitement this last week when a stovetop espresso pot came up on the local Buy Nothing list.  And I won!   



Of course, once you've got the espresso, there's frothing the milk which is the point of the battery powered whisk on the left.


The second essential thing for me is a battery big enough to run my cpap overnight so I can get some sleep.  Because I am a truly cranky bear if I have no sleep and no latte.  After the last power outage, I went online and shopped for battery packs and picked the one below because it can be charged from a car (and our Prius is great for being a huge battery backup) and can also have a solar panel added.  Just in case you want to go camping.  And it has plugs for charging phones & tablets which makes it an excellent multipurpose battery.



We have the heat covered by having a coleman heater with a catalytic converter so we can use it indoors altho they do say not to use it while sleeping in case the fire goes out.  And we have lots of flashlights and candles, so light is covered.  Our stove and water heater are gas so the basic cooking and showering are covered.  We have a bookcase full of board games and lots of reading materials at all times so we are now  ready for the 2020 winter.  

No comments: