Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Remembering birding in So Cal

 My back is keeping me out of the studio for now and I've been catching up on some of those computer things that wait until I have time for them.  This has meant organizing my ebook backup directory by author and sorting through some bird photos.  Which led to my discovery of a report of a birding trip in 2005 when I went to San Diego and then the Salton Sea for birding.  I went with a birding friend, Tina, who took this picture of a cactus wren.


I used this photo, printed on silk with some color changes, to try out some various ideas about using bird photos to make art.  These 2 pieces are in the finished but not happy with them drawer for 2 reasons.  First, I wasn't happy with the pieces themselves and second, the stitching required to do this was just too difficult.  


So, as part of going through and cleaning stuff up, I'm looking at these older unsatisfactory pieces and wondering if they would work better as collage rather than piecing.  I keep coming back to this idea for 2 reasons.  One, I'd like to use my bird photographs in my work.  Second, I really liked this bushtit piece which was done using piecing and some silkscreening.  Also Inktense pencils.  



Looking at the piece I like in comparison to the 2 I don't like, I can see a couple of major differences.  The contrast between the photo colors and the other fabric is one.  The second is the thinner pieces of fabric work better in the bushtit piece.  So while I work on getting my back happy again, I'll be contemplating these pieces.

No comments: