Saturday, October 31, 2020

Halloween treat: caramel apple cheesecake

 A recipe for Caramel Apple Crisp cheesecake bars came across my FB feed and since I love cheesecake and Jeff loves anything he can put caramel sauce on, this seemed like a winner of an idea.  I printed out the recipe and successfully made some but the recipe didn't include eggs in the cream cheese mixture so I added one and I found the results tasty but bland.  The rest of the family came back for seconds so it was a success but since I only get dessert once every 2 weeks, I want something more.


So, here's my plan.  I'm going to take my favorite cheesecake recipe and use half the cheesecake filling amount since I'm doing an 8x8 pan not the 9x13 it calls for.  I liked the crust in the above trial which added rolled oats to the graham cracker crumbs, butter, and sugar that is traditional for the cheesecake crust.  (We used GF graham crackers, of course.)   To add the spicy apple part, in addition to the peeled & sliced apple, I'm going to sprinkle the cheesecake with fresh ground cinnamon before putting the apples on. And maybe a bit of ground ginger too. And then there's the crumbly topping from the above recipe which needed way more than the recipe called for: The original recipe called  for 1/4 C AP flour (GF), 1/4 C.  rolled oats, 1/4 C brown sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, 2 TB coconut oil  (I subbed butter since Jeff doesn't like coconut oil).  I'm going to add some ground cloves.  If this doesn't cover well enough, I'll make more because I like the crumbly bits all over the top.  

Bake at 350F for 40 minutes, a bit longer if you want totally soft apples.  Cool for 15 minutes.  I'm not sure if the refrigerating overnight is actually required.  But add caramel sauce when serving.  We used Trader Joe's GF no-corn sauce and it was quite tasty.


 



No comments: