Sunday, September 29, 2019

resin success and the adventure continues

Despite a bout of the flu this last week, I still got several hours of studio time in.  And I managed to get a bubble free resin layer on top of a print that went all the way to the edges.  Third try is the charm apparently.


Spiral Dance #1 on a 6x6 painted wooden panel looks pretty good with the resin topcoat.  It's hard to see the resin because it's so clear and shiny but that's what is causing the reflections on the surface.

What helped me get this lovely bubble free coating is my new LED headlamp with optional magnifying lenses.  The light is tightly focused in front as these are meant for close work and they perform beautifully. 

MagniPros

In addition to doing the print, I tried some experiments in using small mandalas on scrabble tiles and attempted a couple of five pointed stars.  The big red one is a 3d printed outline that my son printed for me and the little yellow muffin silicone was used for the smaller star.



The mandalas came out perfectly, nice and domed on top of the transparency.  But the 3d printed mold didn't work as the resin leaked all over and basically turned the whole thing into a winter holiday ornament.  Maybe I'll paint it gold...  The muffin mold worked, altho it needs a little trimming around the edges, but I don't really like the raised outline.  So, more work in my future getting the star pendant I want.

Still doing pretty well on trying things out with the resin and next up is making a silicone mold of a 3d printed five pointed star and marbling using the non-liquid coloring things I have.


No comments: