Thursday, January 8, 2009

Gaia's Dance - first art of 2009

I finished a piece that's been in the works for over a year. Finally. And I'm really happy with the results. I'm submitting it to the Sacred Threads show but won't hear if it's been accepted or not until the end of March. Here's the full size photo of the piece.




And here's a detail shot of the quilting. I did a post earlier of the trial piece for the quilting so some of this should look familiar to anyone who saw that post.


For those who are interested in the technical details, the piece is 38" wide and 47" high. The little dancing people are cut from several different fabrics and were individually hand cut (hence the long elapsed time as after cutting them all out, I needed to take a break). The globe and the lotus blossoms were printed on silk using my epson cx3810 printer.

I'm really pretty happy with it and I'm looking forward to applying some of the things I learned to future pieces.

3 comments:

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

This is a beautiful piece, so full of life! I can see why it took so long.

ann said...

WONDERFUL!
This is a very special piece. I know it took a lot of time, but 'never say never'. Inspiration might strike again for a large complicated piece.
What was your inspiration for this piece.
Enjoy the journey,
ann

Liz Copeland said...

Thank you Rhoda! It actually took so long because life interfered, along with being a complicated piece

Ann, my inspiration was meeting a person who re-ignited my internal spiritual spark. I'm still processing the changes coming from that experience but this artwork was a celebration of being back in the dance.

~Liz