Wednesday, January 21, 2009

2009 Goals

In the course of a wide-ranging discussion of New Year's resolutions, one of my fellow quiltart members recommended a book entitled Your Best Year Yet. I checked it out of the library and found I already knew most of the material, but realized I hadn't been applying it as well as I'd like so I decided to come up with a goal list for this year. And stick to just those goals. My problem being that I tend to overcommit my time and energy.

Here's my list for this coming year, focusing on the major 3 areas I want to work in:

ART

Redo webpage using plone or other cms
  • Add galleries with thumbnails
  • Create separate blog for sales or add shopping cart to webpage
Increase productivity/skills
  • Work in studio daily
  • Take classes (digital camera, painting)
Produce income
  • Teach classes
  • Add shirts for sales
  • List small pieces for sale online
SELF

Take Reiki Level 3 training

Chakra owner's manual work

Lose 20 pounds
  • Return exercise to base level
  • Cut back on extras in diet (less wine and chocolate)
Declutter life
  • Focus on main roles/goals
  • Get rid of stuff that's not being used or creating beauty in my life
HOUSEHOLD

Increase food production in garden
  • Plant perennial veggies
  • Increase food preservation skills
Maximize energy efficiency
  • Garage insulation
  • Energy audit
Paint exterior
  • Get quotes
  • Estimate labor/costs to do ourselves
Investigate IRA land possibilities


The book recommends 10 goals and I've exceeded that limit slightly. How typical. However, all progress is made one step at a time so this is my first step.

2 comments:

Eileen said...

Liz,
Was this the book by Jinny Ditzler?

Liz Copeland said...

Hi Eileen,

Yes, that's the book. I liked her tone and writing, altho I will admit I skimmed the book. I've been reading time management books for almost 30 years now... Guess I've had that over committing problem for a while, eh?