Tuesday, April 7, 2020

2020 Birding: a swallow hunt

Today I went to Scudder Pond to look for swallows.  It's not the best place for those birds locally, but I also wanted to see Wood Ducks and look for any lingering warblers.  Alas, I missed out on all 3 of my goal birds, a frequent event in birding.  So I enjoyed the birds that were there:  Red-Winged Blackbirds, Spotted Towhee, a surprise group of Pine Siskins, an abundance of sparrows and one active and feisty Black-Capped Chickadee.   Later this week I will venture out to the best swallow spot I know (Tennant Lake) where I can see the swallows from the parking lot.

Here's some photos from early May of last year.

swallow at birdhouse off of boardwalk
And my favorite funny shot, butt end of swallow.


My blood pressure is up slightly, I'm assuming from the lockdown stress, so I am going to up my birding since that's one of my selfcare practices.  I hope you are taking care of yourself too.

No comments: