Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Bellingham Heronry is under construction

This last week Jeff & I went to Fairhaven to visit the heronry and try out a new restaurant.  The herons have started building and remodeling their nests and the deciduous trees haven't leafed out yet so the viewing was fabulous.  Alas, while I took my camera, I left the SD card sitting next to the computer so all the photos were taken using my phone camera.  Next time, I'll prepare better.


The largest lumps in the photo are the nests and the other ones are herons.  Binoculars or some kind of scope are very helpful as the nests are up in the top of trees and the trees are separated from the path by a generous fenced greenbelt area.  However there are at least two dozen herons there working on the nests so it's a wonderful opportunity to observe them.

There were also lots of other birds as it was a sunny day. 


Mallards and buffleheads predominated but we got some quality face time with a couple of chickadees who wanted to chat. 

A good day and the kind of stress reliever I need right now.  Hoping you are coping as well.

No comments: