Saturday, January 25, 2020

Gimp on Windows10, or doing collage instead of coloring

My ear issues continue so this week has mostly been sleeping and reading.  I did make some progress on shading the yellow snail.  And after doing that, I realized I really wanted to work with fabric and use the inktense to add color, shadow, highlights. 


The colored snail is above with the fabrics I've selected for doing collage to the right. 

One of the things my experience has taught me is that collage is easier if I go larger.  I spent one day this last week trying to print the snail outline in a bigger size.  I have done this before using Gimp with no problem by changing the Print Size under the Image tab.  That didn't work this time.  So I called in my inhouse Windows expert who used to do stuff in the drivers area at Microsoft and after an hour or so of intense focus, he came up with a workaround.  Save the file as a PDF and print using Acrobat.  Still not sure why this is now broken but I suspect something changed in the Windows side of things.  I finally got a 13" snail printed (head to tail measurement).  And did the outline on a nice piece of fabric to use for coloring.  I'll be doing another on batting so I can put misty fuse on the batting and then collage onto the batting.  We'll see how far I get with those projects this next week.


The snail is significant to me right now as I'm reading a new piece about pacing to deal with CFS and the message is to slow down and rest frequently.  This perfectly describes the progress made by a snail or slug so I'm working on getting in touch with my inner snail.

No comments: