Monday, March 18, 2019

resin experiment #2

Despite a horrible sinus/ear infection, I got some resin testing done this week.  I made up a board with different fabrics and used 3 different sprays I had on hand to see if any of them worked to block the darkening that happened with the first trial.  Here's the before fabric board.



I have a UV protective spray, a non VOC fixative (milk based), and fabric stiffening spray.  I left one column with no protection so I could see the difference.  I also glued the fabric down thoroughly using the purple Elmer's acid free glue sticks.    Then I used packing tape around the edges to stop the dripping that happened with the first board use.

Here's the results with some of the original fabric next to the board to show the darkening that happened.




The sprays don't seem to have made any difference but the darkening only happened with the darker fabrics.  I'm not sure what caused this completely different result altho I suspect just the glue itself helped lessen the darkening since I was very thorough about gluing the fabric down.  The lighter and medium fabrics didn't darken much if any so I'm going to work with a lighter palette for now and do some further experimentation.  

The bonus I got from this experiment is I discovered the fabric stiffening spray is reported as being very effective for use with the Scan N Cut.  I'll be testing that out myself later this week.  And I learned how to use my little torch to get rid of bubbles in the resin. Oh, and the packing tape was an epic fail.  It contained the dripping to one big spot but bulged out so it was still off the board.   All in all, a good bit of progress in understanding my new material.

No comments: