Saturday, March 23, 2019

Female fiber artist who influenced me: Robbi Eklow

It's March again and that means women's history month.  I'm solidly in the fiber art field now, growing from the art quilt field, so I'm focusing on artists who have influenced me.  This year, I'm picking Robbi Eklow, in part because I'm starting my own Bellingham School of Digital Collage (with a nod of acknowledgement to the Chicago School of Fusing) and in part because she's been posting on FB about her latest major life transition and I can definitely relate to that magnitude of change.

So, who is Robbi?  Her webpage gives this succinct bio.  "Robbi Joy Eklow has an Engineering degree from Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana. In college she married her husband Brian, they have two children. Robbi lectures and teaches internationally, and has shown quilts and won ribbons in major quilt shows across the United States. She wrote a bi-monthly column "Goddess of the Last Minute" for Quilting Arts Magazine. She has designed quilts and written articles for many quilting publications and written two books about quilting."  See her quilt gallery here.

Her column in Quilting Arts magazine helped me free myself from all the rules of the quilt police.   The quilting shows originally started out of state fairs and the judging of quilts was primarily based on technique and how well that technique stuck to the traditions of the field.  Robbi's writing was a wonderful breath of humor and she introduced me to the concept of fusibles.  Since I now do collage rather than piecing, it's clear that fusibles opened a doorway for me to a brand new world.





On of her earlier quilts showed how to use the fusing with hand dyed fabric with her signature repetition of shape within the quilt (The picture above is a newer version of that).  I was still doing traditional pieced quilts when her work (among others) inspired me to step outside traditional patterns, cut those shapes however I wanted and fuse away.  I'm still doing that now, a couple of decades later, but mixing in paper and paint too. 





No comments: