Thursday, September 13, 2018

Salish Sea Mandala series or transitioning from Energizer Bunny to Slug


Fall is here in the PNW as signified by rain, clouds and the start of crowds of kids on corners in the morning.  This is one of those times of year when I stop and take a look at how I'm doing overall.  As part of that look this year, I realized I need to accept that this sudden and severe change in energy may be permanent.  I've gone from being an Energizer Bunny to being a Slug.  Despite the sadness that realization brings, I'm also realizing that slugs get where they're going by persisting.  And having one goal.  So, I'm doing one thing at a time now and the big goal for this next year is creating a body of work with the working title "Salish Sea Mandalas".

I started this first piece by pulling the 3 salmon out of the "in progress" drawer.  Then I picked fabrics, and started cutting and fusing.  This process was going well until I started to add the background fabric and discovered I had seriously miscalculated how much I needed. 


So here's the center motif without the background.  As for my slugginess, I am discovering that I can work about 2-3 hours a day for 3-4 days a week.  This time gets split between making things in the studio and doing the computer work that goes along with the making.   As I recalibrate my  expectations, I will be blogging weekly about where I am so I can measure my progress.  I'm not yet to the point of putting a slug as my profile pic, but I'm getting more comfortable with my pace and I'm working to embrace my inner slug.







No comments: