Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Fiber Artist #4: Susan Shie

I'm struggling with the eye issues and the fatigue issues, so this week, it's back to finishing up the list of Five Female Fiber Artists.  Today, I introduce you to Susan Shie.

Susan caught my attention in the late 90's when I was beginning to seriously go outside traditional quilting and I started consciously looking at other fiber artists and their work from an artist's point of view.  Susan's work is very different from what I "like" in art.  Too much is not enough is her basic design credo.  And lots of words.  Lots and lots of words.  Here's a recent example of her work completed in January of 2018 in response to the situation in Puerto Rico.


Shaken And Stirred by Susan Shie
I'm pretty sure the first thing that caught my attention was her chatting about her Kitchen Tarot pieces on the quiltart list.  I'd participated in an online group doing a fiber art version of the tarot deck just a few years earlier so I was full of respect for anyone taking on the project of doing really large pieces for each card.   She published a book in 2010 that showcased 22 of the Kitchen Tarot cards, her version of the Major Arcana. 

She also teaches regularly and frequently and when I was struggling with fatigue due to the undiagnosed failing kidneys, I looked at signing up for a week long class at her place.  You have to go see her webpage to see how many class options there are.  Check out www.turtlemoon.com here.

I also recommend spending some time exploring her art on her site.  Her work is exuberant, colorful, and high energy.  When I'm feeling blah and tired, it's just the pick me up I need.  I hope you enjoy her work too.



No comments: