Sunday, June 17, 2018

Miss Zukas tidies my brain

I discovered a couple of decades ago that I turn to mysteries for reading material when I'm feeling overwhelmed by life.  Given the current & ongoing ankle and eye medical problems, it's not surprising that I recently started reading the Miss Zukas series again. 

There are multiple appeals to this series by Jo Dereske.  Miss Zukas is a professional librarian who is amusingly precise in her manner.  The series is set in the fictional town of BelleHaven which bears a certain resemblance to Bellingham:  on the bay off the San Juan Islands.  Now that we live here, it adds another dimension to reading the descriptions.  The series was written in the mid to late 90's so there is also a lovely layer of nostalgia.  And the writing is perfect for a cozy mystery. 


I'm about halfway through the series (a dozen in total) but the one pictured above is my favorite of the ones I've read so far.  Miss Zukas grew up in Michigan and her uncle made her a wooden canoe.  I grew up in Indianapolis and my family had a fiberglass canoe.  And I spent my teen years going canoeing on the White River with my best friend on the weekends.  It's the top thing on my list of things I was supposed to do in Washington but haven't yet.  So I really enjoy Miss Zukas canoeing in the Snow to Surf relay race in this book. 

I recommend the series if you're looking for some nice scenic mystery reading.  No gore, interesting characters (I especially like her BFF Ruth, a very tall artist with unruly hair), and writing that occasionally takes a gentle poke at society or otherwise steps outside the genre's expectations.    I am certainly finding this series a refreshing break from reality that is recharging my sorely depleted energy.

No comments: