Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Virtual Vacation: eagles on Samish Island are camera shy

I'm back from a 10 day vacation, most of it spent on Samish Island just across Padilla Bay from Anacortes.  It was a nicely birdy vacation but most of the birds were a little camera shy, especially the eagles.    Here's a view of the bay from our cottage's living room.  You can see some of the raindrops on the glass.  And the shrub on the other side of the road was a favorite spot for the smaller birds.

Anacortes smokestacks behind large island

We arrived on Saturday, the 13th, in the late afternoon as a bit of stormy weather was coming in across the bay.  This was nice as the eagles and gulls were having fun riding the wind.  But the eagles and the weather meant I couldn't capture the fabulous moment of watching 4 eagles ride the wind just off our bit of coast.  I stepped out onto the deck and got this shot of one of the eagles going much higher in the distance.  The weather drove me back inside pretty quickly.

Zoom into left upper corner to see eagle

And here's when my phone camera insisted on focusing on the raindrops rather than the eagle.

Great shot of raindrops

If I were a more dedicated photographer, I'm sure I could have done much better.  As I'm a zen birder, I instead enjoyed the moment, watching the four eagles play in the wind and almost jostle each other to get the good spots.  It was a great beginning for our relaxing week away.



No comments: