Friday, March 4, 2022

My Preorder Faves in Urban Fantasy & Paranormal Romance

 I'm needing escapist books, preferably with a happy ending, and this led me to think about what I preorder regularly.  Then I thought others might like to know too as we are all coping with too much right now.  So, here's my list of things I almost always preorder.

1.  Ilona Andrews.  All the series, all the time.  They write about worlds in which magic is real and what varies from series to series is the how of it becoming real.  I like all of them and preorder them all.  I even recommended them to Kid2 and he now texts me comments as he reads.  



2.  Anne Bishop, The Others.  Fascinating departure from the usual shapeshifter tropes in a universe where humans are just another prey animal to The Others.  The Others are the guardians of the natural world and the dominant species.  I would really like to live in this world. 

3.  Nalini Singh, Psy-Changeling.  Did I mention I prefer shapeshifters to vampires?  And things with a psychic powers bent?  That explains why I adore this paranormal romance series.  

4.  Patricia Briggs, both the Mercy Thompson and the spinoff series.  I prefer the Anna & Charles ones because the vampires have a lower profile.  Great universe, with interesting political intrigue across all the species.

5.  Faith Hunter, Jane Yellowrock & Soulwood series both.  If there was a  new one in the Rogue Mage universe, I'd probably grab that real quick too.  Yes, there are vampires, and they are legal, but Jane is a shapeshifter in the Cherokee tradition.  Soulwood takes a branch off of Jane's story and is more earth centered spirituality in tone.  

6.  Shelly Laurenston, Pride series & the Honey Badger Chronicles.  These are 2 of 4 series set in the same universe but I'm really meh about the other 2.  The Pride and the honey badgers, on the other hand, I adore.  Class warfare in NYC by shapeshifters with great humor and good use of the classic romance tropes.  

7. Devon Monk, Ordinary Magic series.  Mythology, romance and a setting in coastal Oregon.  The sense of humor is just the icing on the cake.  

8.  Seanan McGuire, Incryptid series.  Again, humor, weird things happening and also shared with Kid2 who loves the mice.  Not so good on the happy endings however so keep that in mind.

9. Eileen Wilks, World of the Lupi.  Shapeshifters as a special army in an interdimensional war between ancient energy beings.  I've been waiting for #15 for a while now as the publishing date keeps getting pushed out.  This series has lots of romance but the plots are not tightly tied to the romances so I'd call it urban fantasy.  

10. Jennifer Ashley, Shifters Unbound series.  Set initially in Austin TX, the shapeshifters are out to the humans and kept in Shiftertowns.  Definitely paranormal romance as each book features a couple getting together but in a way that advances the series plot about the shifters working to be free from both humans and the fae who created them and want to enslave them again.  



No comments: