Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Summer reading or what I've been doing since cataract surgeries



I've had a miserable series of medical issues since late March (sinus infection, shoulder injury and 2 cataract surgeries) and I am mostly all better now, but pretty much all I've done in the last few weeks is read.  So here's what I've been reading.

While treating the ear/sinus infection,  I started reading the Alex Craft series by Kalayna Price.    Executive summary:  good urban fantasy series, mashup of PI and traditional fae universe with a bit of zombie/ghost action too.  I'm not a big fan of vampire books so this one was nice since it has a completely different focus.  Somewhat similar to Seanan McGuire's October Daye books since there's crime solving going on in a universe with fae.



Barnes & Noble notified me of a new Incryptid novel, so of course I re-read that series.  Funny and enjoyable altho a bit dark since the family is fighting a losing battle against the Covenant of St. George .  While there are sorta vampiric creatures in this universe, it's mostly an exploration of a wide variety of creatures living in the various nooks & crannies of our world without being a serious threat to humans.  The conflict comes between the Covenant (which believes the only good cryptid is a dead cryptid) and the Price family, who believe that if a cryptid isn't actually endangering humans, then there's no problem.  The Prices also want to study the myriad cryptids that exist and document what they discover.  Since it's a Seanan McGuire series, there's some great humor with the mice who worship the Prices and some darkness as the various events unfold.




And last, but certainly not least, I've discovered the Lucas Davenport series.  Thirty books about a cop in Minnesota who has a certain flexible morality and a whole lotta luck.  Since they're thrillers, it's pretty much serial killers all the time in an almost noir-ish sensibility.  The author worked as a crime reporter so there's some good writing, an interesting main character, and a whole array of supporting characters.  I'm about halfway through the series and still enjoying it which doesn't always happen in a long series when I read them in a lump.    No picture for this series, since the titles all have Prey in them and there's no art on the covers.

Now I'm mostly recovered and starting summer birding along with more studio time so I should return to birds or art for next time.


No comments: