Saturday, April 27, 2019

Post Point Heronry or where the birds are

April is when the herons start building their nests here in Bellingham and it was a challenge for me this year to get out there for photos before the trees got all their leaves growing in the way.  But we did a couple of days, one with good lighting, so here's some heron photos. 

I'll start with the best shot I got.  This heron was doing some morning preening so getting a good shot of the head in between the leaves was a challenge.


And to truly see how the leaves can get in the way, here's the action shot  spoiled by the leaves.


Post Point has more birds than the herons, of course.  There's a nice cove where the ducks and a killdeer hang out and an adjacent dog park with lots of shrubs for the smaller birds.  Alas, I neglected to snap a shot of the oystercatchers who have moved in but I did get this good shot of the bufflehead.  I've never been close enough to see the green on the back of the head before so that was a nice new experience.


I also got my first warbler of the season on the walk back to the car.  No photo, alas, but all in all, a very lovely birding expedition right in the middle of Bellingham.

No comments: