Sunday, February 10, 2019

gluten free shrimp tempura

While all the snow bypassed us and headed to Seattle, we are socked in by shockingly low temps, at least by Bellingham standards.  So while I was waiting for the gesso to dry for the panels for my next set of studio experiments, I decided to do some experimenting in the kitchen.

I googled for "gf tempura batter" and picked 2 different recipes.  I only had the ingredients on hand for the one from   https://www.gfpatisserie.com/recipes/tempura-batter#/ so we went with that one.Very simple batter recipe:  2 C gf flour (we used the local coop's bulk version rather than the websites), 1 tsp baking soda, 1/4-1/2 tsp salt and 2 C sparkling water.  We ended up adding an extra cup of water because the batter was so thick and we only used about half of what we made so next time, we'll start with 1 C flour.




Heat the oil to 375F, do some tests with veggies and then start doing the shrimp.  This batter is quite tasty but more what I think of as fish & chips batter.  That's fine, being allergic to wheat has given me some serious fried fish cravings and this will do the trick.  I had intended to take a great picture of the lovely golden brown shrimp as I got them out of the pan but completely forgot until after they were all eaten.  Now to decide what fish to do for fish & chips....

No comments: