Thursday, February 4, 2010

10 easy ways to help the planet (Yes! magazine)

Today's email brought a pointer to an article from yes! magazine about 10 easy ways to change your life and help the planet. It seems worth sharing. Read the whole detailed list here; some of the easy ones: eat your veggies (reduce meat consumption) , give up bottled water (we've switched to a seltzer bottle. Umbra at grist.org had a nice video today about various other ways to make your own bubbly water), and have dinner with friends. We're doing the last as a monthly game night which gives us all a chance to hang out, chat, play some games, and enjoy ourselves. This last is on my mind as I head off to knee surgery today, and realized I needed to send a reminder email. Yikes!

4 comments:

solar lights said...

love this post

Lorraina said...

Hey Liz,yes i agree and really want to help our planet! Can you give me some more info re what you said about umbra at grist.org....and how to make your own bubbly water. I've tried variations of the address as well as just umbra.org and not getting anything.I'm a fellow pbc'er and interested in your "seltzer bottle" as this is something totally new to me. Can you direct me to the video please.
thanks
lorraine

Liz Copeland said...

Hi Lorraina,

Go to grist.org, click on Umbra (on the teal bar below the main header & an ad), and then search for "bubbles". You should get a link to the article. I'll try and include it here:

http://www.grist.org/article/2010-02-01-ask-umbras-video-advice-on-making-your-own-club-soda

Lorraina said...

Thanks Liz, i read all about it and it sounds so good on all levels.

However i'm in Canada and guess they can't be sent here, :-(
I'd do the homemade version but it sounds like alot of work and probably not a great tasting substitute.
I can't undertake big jobs anymore as i'm the one with pbc; 66 and stage 2 but feel like much more.

My best wishes to your dh and hope he finds relief from the terrible effects of this dreadful disease.

Thanks for the link to the grist site, lots of great info there.