Friday, January 8, 2010

50 Collages in one week, Yikes!

My new Fiber Arts instructor gave us our first assignment: make 50 collages on a single theme in one week. This will be an interesting learning experience, for sure. Class is next Tuesday evening, and I have 3 done so far. I spent one day brainstorming, so I have a huge list of ideas to explore, and assembling materials from various nooks and shelves around the house. The first 2 took over 3 hours to make; the third took one hour. I set a timer on myself on the third one so I could keep it to an hour. Today, I aim for 10 collages, and less than 45 minutes each. We'll see how we do. I need to let go of doing a finished piece, and do a compositional sketch or I'll never make it to the total number. And as he explained, the idea is to experiment and see our own conceptual connections so it is important to do the whole 50 (plus or minus a couple...). Somehow, I still feel like I've been pushed off a cliff and am trying to learn to fly as I go down.

My theme is Spiritual Journey and here's the first 3 collages. I particularly like #2. These are all a combination of fabric and paper glued or fused to watercolor paper. I'm thinking of using peltex as it's a bit stiffer for the ones with mostly fabric. The watercolor paper is curling on the boat one.


The first one is from an idea that's been simmering for a while, based on a song, Sailing a Blue Boat.


Second one is Spiral Dance, probably #1. I expect more along this path in the next few days.


And this one is based on the Solstice Stocking I did for a friend a couple of years ago. It worked better as the stocking, I think, altho I like the idea and think it would work better with more detail.

4 comments:

Sherryl said...

That is some assignment Liz! Good luck to you. I will certainly be interested in seeing what the last batch looks like as the the first 3 are great.

JYA Fiberarts said...

Wow, Liz! The level of detail is wonderful. I love the water which appears very textural, in #1. The contrast with the feathers in #2 really catches your eye and the simplicity of #3 makes it's own statement. I wonder if your classmates will do anything that makes nearly the strong statement that your pieces achieve? I also wonder how many are in the class and are they mostly women?

Norma Schlager said...

I can't imagine doing 50 of anything in one week! It was only a week, wasn't it? But you seem to be off to a great start. I especially like Spiral Dance and can see you doing variations on it. Good luck and let us know how you do and also if everyone in the class completed the assignment.

Carole said...

oooh.... Liz, this is going to be something. seems you are off to a good start. Please keep posting, I have the 'feed' on your site...
very interesting.