Monday, April 13, 2009

Weekly photo: Larsen lake greenbelt, 4/11

Having successfully recovered after surgery and the almost neverending flu, I have resumed my weekly photo taking. I took the camera along to Larsen Lake, and was fascinated by the pussy willows budding out. I don't know what the yellow things I photographed are called, but I really liked their shape and contrast against the grey stones on the greenbelt trail. This one was taken using the macro lens on my camera.




And here's a more distant shot of the same things still on the bare branches of one of the many willows along the lake.



I'm mulling over how to use the macro one in a fiber art piece. I'm thinking I'll work smaller, probably 8 x 11 and see what happens if I focus on the textures and contrast of the colors.

Here's hoping you're finding your own inspiration this spring!

3 comments:

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Liz, the new photos are very inspirational thing. I think the yellow 'thing' is the piece that falls off just before the leaves form.
Great photo.

Anonymous said...

these are the in full bloom katkins from the willows.

you can see the pollen and the stamens that give the yellow green colour.
love your photos Diana
Anyone can do anything one step at a time!

Liz Copeland said...

Ah, yes, catkins. Thank you for supplying the word. Wikipedia has a gorgeous picture of a branch full of them.