Saturday, April 19, 2008

Yes! magazine and optimism

Sometimes the news is depressing. So I'm glad I've discovered Yes! magazine, which focuses on what solutions are working in different areas of life. (Their phrase on the cover is "Building a Just and Sustainable World". Yes, my hippie roots are showing.) The lastest issue, #45, is focused on Climate Solutions and I am really happy to see an article aimed at the mainstream family and how to completely reduce reliance on fossil fuels in 10 years. Baby steps, that I can do. There's also an article by Pete Seeger, and another about plug-in cars. This is the 3rd issue I've read and I finally subscribed. Normally, I don't subscribe to magazines as they're usually just a vehicle for lots of ads for stuff we don't really need. (See, hippie roots... ) This one is aimed at building community, solving problems and spreading the word. That kind of optimism and can-do attitude is exactly what I needed right now.

Check them out at www.YesMagazine.org.

No comments: