Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Fresh cranberry relish recipe

I've been making this cranberry relish for Thanksgiving for at least 30 years now and I'm still enjoying it.  This year, I thought I'd share.  It is really good with leftover turkey in a sandwich, fyi.

before the food processor does its thing

Ingredients:

  • 1 navel orange
  • 1 lime (original recipe called for 1/2 lime but I use it all)
  • 1 tart apple or whatever you have on hand
  • 3/4 C pitted dates (if the package is 1 C, I use it all)
  • 12 oz cranberries
  • 1/4-1/2 C sugar, to taste
Basically, chop everything up in a food processor and mix it together.  Chill overnight to let the flavors mix.  I do the orange and lime and the dates first and since my food processor is small, I do 2 batches.  This makes sure the rinds of the fruit get chopped small enough.  It also uses the juice from the citrus fruit to keep the dates from sticking to stuff.  Then I chop the cranberries and apple in 2 batches, adding 1/4 C sugar to the second batch.  Put it all in a big bowl, mix well, and taste to see if it needs more sugar.  This year, it was a blood orange rather than navel so not as much sweet from the orange and I used the whole 1/2 C of sugar.

After the chopping & mixing, ready to chill
I hope we all have a good Thanksgiving!

No comments: