Thursday, September 18, 2014

Amazing origami exhibit at BAM ends Sept 21

My husband and I spent a couple of hours yesterday at the Bellevue Art Museum looking at the amazing origami exhibit.  This exhibit features work by over 40 international origami artists and takes the technique into amazingly advanced sculptural realms.  The last day is September 21 so if you were thinking of going, do it!  I include some photos of pieces that used techniques I am attempting in my experiments in my studio but there are other amazing pieces featured on the Bellevue Art Museum webpage in a very nice slideshow that makes clear the broad range of forms possible. And if you go, they are open 11-6 through the weekend.

The animal below caught my eye as I approached from the left and thought at first it was an armadillo.  I was particularly entranced as I am attempting to do a similar textural motif on a new accessory I am developing.





This silk dress was among the first things we saw coming out of the elevator and it definitely caught my eye.  Much more impressive in person as the reflected light from the silk blurs the lines of the folds somewhat.



I really want to make some of these out of silk.  I think they would be an amazing way to show off the colors of my hand dyed or marbled fabrics.



I also got a good idea of how striking a limited color palette can be with the textural forms above and the wall sculpture below.  More intriguing input for my ongoing experimentation!




No comments: